Kapel Agnietenklooster
Contact
Story
From 1401, the Agnieten monastery community was formed and there was later an Agnietenklooster. The Agnites were nuns, also called sisters, hence the street names Zusterhuis, Zustersteeg and Zusterstraat. The Agnietenklooster was a large monastery complex in the late Middle Ages, bounded by Boerenstraat, Zusterhuis, Groenmarkt, Molenstraat and Zusterstraat. After the transition, the monasteries were disbanded and belongings sold to finance the Revolt.
Monument description
The front and side facade of the house date from the 18th/19th century. In its extension on Sister Street is the former chapel of the Agnietenklooster from the early 15th century. Three frescoes on the upper floor. During renovation, the chapel's turret was unfortunately demolished.